There has been an increase in the amount of research being undertaken in vitiligo over recent years and dermatologists have an improved understanding of the natural history and different types of the condition. Here you will find a brief summary of research into a number of areas, with references to the original research articles, for those of you who wish to follow these up.
Researchers are looking at :
- The effectiveness of existing treatments;
- Possible causes of vitiligo;
- How the condition develops;
- Segmental vitiligo;
- The association of vitiligo with other conditions;
- The psychological effects of vitiligo.
It is hoped that the improvements in scientific understandings will in future lead to more effective treatments for vitiligo.